Wednesday, May 30, 2018

The Red Shed - The Vintage Vagabond's New Vintage Co-Op Space




Let the games begin!
Painters love a blank canvas. Sculptors can't wait to get their hands on a fresh lump of clay. Designers see beautiful gowns where the rest of us see scraps of fabric. Each artist or creator has a medium that ignites their passion and calls to their expressive spirit. And I am no exception. All I need to get my creative juices flowing, is a few blank walls and some empty shelves. I've always been drawn to visual arts like photography and scrapbooking, but in recent years, I've come to learn that I also love visual merchandising. I get deep satisfaction out of arranging (and rearranging) items to maximize space and create maximum visual impact for shoppers. That's why I was so excited when I was offered a new, larger space at Capt. Scrap's, the vintage co-op where I                                                                                     have some of my inventory displayed in                                                                                                  Woodbine, NJ.




The new space is three times the size of the spot I was previously occupying at the co-op, and I was inexplicably drawn to it the minute that it was suggested I could move there. At first, I had been offered the chance to move to another spot on the property, but I just wasn't feeling that space so I was dragging my feet about committing to the upgrade. Then, the idea of moving to the Red Shed was presented to me, and I was hooked.

You have to start somewhere. This seemed like a good place to me.








The move took a lot longer than I anticipated and stretched me to my physical, mental, and emotional limits, but I was determined to get it accomplished sooner, rather than later. Wall treatments were hung, floors were painted, furniture was repurposed, windows were washed, inventory was relocated, and new displays were created - all done on the weekends or in the evenings after regular work hours. Thank God for caffeine and adrenaline.  I also could not have done it without my husband's patience, support, and muscle. We actually make a pretty good team. I specialize in "vision", and he's the master of "execution". Lucky for me, he knows his way around a tool bag, and he's pretty handy with a paintbrush, too.
Much better.

Tackling the next obstacle.

Measure twice. Cut once.

It's starting to come together.



Whew!
I have let out a huge sigh of relief now that the lion's share of the work is done,  but I am not naive. I know there will always be more work to be done. And that's not a bad thing.  If the retail gods smile down upon me, I'll be rotating new inventory into my space on a regular basis to replace all the goods and wares that are flying off the shelves and the walls. Getting to design new displays on an on-going basis is one of the best parts of visual merchandising. If you are constantly seeking to satisfy the creative impulses emanating from the right side of your brain the same way that I am, then you'll understand how grateful I am for this opportunity and how much I really need it. So, if you happen to be in the area, please stop by and see our handiwork for yourself.





I predict that train case will not be around very long.
So, if you happen to be in the area,
please stop by and see our handiwork 
for yourself.


That cabinet, though!


Left side.

Never underestimate the impact your walls can have.


No comments:

Post a Comment